WA Preparing for Juris Doctor - Any Tips?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Moreton

26 December 2018
Hi,

I am an undergraduate going into the second year of Philosophy/Law and Society double major. After this I will complete the Juris Doctor and am wondering if anyone can offer me some tips. Are there any things/texts you think would be valuable to start looking at/into now in the lead up to the Juris Doctor that will make me better prepared? Also, what are the work experience opportunities available to undergrads? Are they worthwhile?

Any help is welcome... The things you think s**t, I wish I looked into this earlier.

Thanks.

Reag

5 April 2018
Hi,

I am an undergraduate going into the second year of Philosophy/Law and Society double major. After this I will complete the Juris Doctor and am wondering if anyone can offer me some tips. Are there any things/texts you think would be valuable to start looking at/into now in the lead up to the Juris Doctor that will make me better prepared? Also, what are the work experience opportunities available to undergrads? Are they worthwhile?

Any help is welcome... The things you think s**t, I wish I looked into this earlier.

Thanks.
Enjoy your time off while you can, as you are going to need to recharge.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I'll give you one tip.
Don't get too excited about the "Doctor" bit.
Have a read of this.

Reag

5 April 2018
I'll give you one tip.
Don't get too excited about the "Doctor" bit.
Have a read of this.

In all honesty, this should also apply to General Practitioners. There's nothing a GP can do that a nurse can't, outside a clinic.

Surgeons, on the other hand, may be an exception. The problem with surgery however, is that every wannabe straight A student wants to get in. This despite having zero interest in the field, apart from money and status. You just have to look at the work of all prominent Hollywood plastic surgeons to see what I mean. Same applies to law.

Last edited:

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
In all honesty, this should also apply to General Practitioners. There's nothing a GP can do that a nurse can't, outside a clinic.
I can think of a number of nurses and doctors both, who would not agree with you.
I also know a number of academic nurses with PhDs, for whom
not being mistaken for MB BS holders, matters.

Surgeons, on the other hand, may be an exception. The problem with surgery however, is that every wannabe straight A student wants to get in. This despite having zero interest in the field, apart from money and status. You just have to look at the work of all prominent Hollywood plastic surgeons to see what I mean. Same applies to law.
Speaking as a "GP" lawyer, who numbers several public figures among his clients, it really doesn't.
Some of my clients are savvy business people who know exactly what they're doing.
And others are not at all business minded, and can be (in many cases, have been)
taken advantage of. Both have different needs.

As to being Hollywood... Only once have I ever been called a "Celebrity Lawyer".
And it was not by somebody whose opinion carried much weight.

The reason a JD is not PhD equivalent, and does not accrue the title "Doctor",
is because of a JD does not sit at the same level as a PhD in the Australian Qualifications Framework.

Ya know, I'm really starting to wonder if you're not just a troll, and I'm not noticing.

Reactions: Waseem Abbas

Reag

5 April 2018
I can think of a number of nurses and doctors both, who would not agree with you.
I also know a number of academic nurses with PhDs, for whom
not being mistaken for MB BS holders, matters.

All GP's do are write prescriptions. Outside their practice, in the street for example, their medical knowledge is similar to that of nurses, rendering first aid, etc.

Speaking as a "GP" lawyer, who numbers several public figures among his clients, it really doesn't.
Some of my clients are savvy business people who know exactly what they're doing.
And others are not at all business minded, and can be (in many cases, have been)
taken advantage of. Both have different needs.

What does business have to do with having a passion for medicine vs studying medicine for the money and status?

As to being Hollywood... Only once have I ever been called a "Celebrity Lawyer".
And it was not by somebody whose opinion carried much weight.

I'm not following... celebrity surgeons do a terrible job because they have no skill or passion for surgery. That's what my post is about.

The reason a JD is not PhD equivalent, and does not accrue the title "Doctor",
is because of a JD does not sit at the same level as a PhD in the Australian Qualifications Framework.

I'm talking about ordinary GP's who title themselves a "Doctor" when they don't have a Doctorate.

Ya know, I'm really starting to wonder if you're not just a troll, and I'm not noticing.

Trolling in what way? I don't troll, got better things to do with my time.

Reag

5 April 2018
I'm not saying straight-A students are dumb. Far from it. What I'm saying is that most straight-A students use their marks to get into top tier courses (Law, Medicine, etc) when they have no passion or skill for that field, i.e. they do it for the prestige and money and don't care about anything else.

Reag

5 April 2018
Although in saying that, Law as a degree wouldn't be as prestigious as it is now, if it weren't for such students.

Waseem Abbas

7 October 2019
Perth
Hi Respected Members,

Just joined this forum a moment ago, I would like your learned opinion regarding Juris Doctor degree from UWA. I know the above thread is year old. I would like if still someone can help me out!

Here is my brief background,I am in Australia around eleven years, working in health sector as Manager and I am an Australian Permanent resident, I had overseas Pakistani law degree (LLB), assessed by Legal Practice Board, which is required to study eleven bridging law courses e.g Constitution, Contract, Civil procedure etc but I am more interested in doing Juris Doctor. Thanks in advance.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hello. Welcome.

Let's be clear about one thing.
A JD does not allow you to call yourself "Doctor".
You'll need a PhD for that.

UWA is a top flight law school. Enrol there with confidence.

Reactions: Waseem Abbas