QLD Preparation for Law (Honours) - Tips and Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Zoev12

20 December 2018
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone could refer me to any material/has any help on ways to 'prepare' for this Australian Law degree.

I am already a Registered Nurse but know that this degree will be completely different (plus I haven't been to uni for a few years now).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Well, since you ask...
  1. It's harder than you think. Because it's not just rote learning reams of black-letter law.
    It's about learning analysis and critical thinking, supreme skills in language and expression,
    and problem solving.

That said, I know several RNs who have gone on to become terrific lawyers.
    That's because they understand logic, but also that logic is not all there is.
    Also, there are things in nursing which (albeit in different colours) look and feel quite similar...
    such as wholistic viewing of a situation, differential problem solving, critical thinking,
    and professional objectivity. Not to mention that nurses already understand what it is to be in a complex and sophisticated ethical environment.

2. You have to want it, bad. Because it will resist you every step of the way.

3. You need to come to it with a clear head, and a clear heart.
    If, really, your motivation is un-dealt-with baggage from, say, a family law matter,
    or some other personal crisis, then studying law is not the pathway to peace within,
    nor to vengeance without.

4. You need to understand your personal way of learning.
    Different law schools teach in different ways, and people
    (especially adults) differ in how they learn best.
    For some people, different methods of delivery work better than others.
    For example, you may prefer (learn best in) traditional lectures and tutorials.
    Or, you may be fine doing distance-ed style.
You may find this thread of interest.

Zoev12

20 December 2018
Well, since you ask...
  1. It's harder than you think. Because it's not just rote learning reams of black-letter law.
    It's about learning analysis and critical thinking, supreme skills in language and expression,
    and problem solving.

That said, I know several RNs who have gone on to become terrific lawyers.
    That's because they understand logic, but also that logic is not all there is.
    Also, there are things in nursing which (albeit in different colours) look and feel quite similar...
    such as wholistic viewing of a situation, differential problem solving, critical thinking,
    and professional objectivity. Not to mention that nurses already understand what it is to be in a complex and sophisticated ethical environment.

2. You have to want it, bad. Because it will resist you every step of the way.

3. You need to come to it with a clear head, and a clear heart.
    If, really, your motivation is un-dealt-with baggage from, say, a family law matter,
    or some other personal crisis, then studying law is not the pathway to peace within,
    nor to vengeance without.

4. You need to understand your personal way of learning.
    Different law schools teach in different ways, and people
    (especially adults) differ in how they learn best.
    For some people, different methods of delivery work better than others.
    For example, you may prefer (learn best in) traditional lectures and tutorials.
    Or, you may be fine doing distance-ed style.
You may find this thread of interest.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. This has been reassuring.