Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Possible to Void Marriage Due to Fraud?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by john1, 2 March 2016.

1. john1

john1 Active Member

The woman I married was from an overseas country with a poorer standard of living. We had arranged/agreed to have children over the years before she arrived in Australia, but when we married she did not want this. I feel she deceived me just to get into the country. We were married for 4 years and have no children. I was nearly 50 years of age at the time of my marriage.

She now has a better standard of living here. She made no financial and non-financial contribution to the marriage.

She now has her permanent residency and Australian citizenship. We are now divorced and she is seeking property settlement. Can I have the marriage considered void because it was obtained by fraud / deception, so that she would not be entitled to my assets?

Thank you.

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

What you've listed doesn't reflect any of the reasons that are required for a court to make a decree of nullify in respect of a marriage. The court can make such a decree in the following circumstances:
    • At the time the parties were married, one of them was married to someone else.
    • The parties are in a prohibited relationship.
    • The parties did not comply with the laws in relation to the marriage in the place they were married.
    • Either party was not of a legal age to marry.
    • Either of the parties did not give their real consent to the marriage because:
      • consent was obtained by duress or fraud,
      • one party was mistaken as to the identity of who they were marrying or the nature of the ceremony,
      • one party was mentally incapable of understanding the nature and the effect of the marriage ceremony.
    The duress/fraud element here isn't the same as what you're talking about. You can, however apply for a divorce

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

This is a relationship issue, not a legal issue that would give rise to a right to nullify the legal contract of marriage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...