ACT Photography in Apartment Block - Breach of Privacy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Valerie Kerr

8 May 2018
My neighbour breaks all the Body Corporate rules in my apartment block.

I often report her for things like:

- Parking on grassed common areas regardless of the fact she has 2 car spots.

-Watering the plants in her courtyard to the point where she floods the underground carpark.

As evidence, I have photographed her doing this, or the result of her behaviour. If she spots me with the camera, she threatens to call the police on me for photographing her without her consent.

Is it an offence and breach of privacy to photograph someone and use the photos as evidence? The photographs are not posted anywhere publicly.

And, what if I was to install a motion activated security camera? The only way someone could access my 1st floor apartment would be via the courtyard of the apartment below me. Do I need permission from my neighbour to install?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is it an offence and breach of privacy to photograph someone and use the photos as evidence? The photographs are not posted anywhere publicly.

No

Do I need permission from my neighbour to install?

It is a good idea even if you don't need permission. How would you feel if someone had a camera pointing into your courtyard?

The issue is more to do with mounting a camera to common property if it is common property. You may need permission from your owners corp (or ACT equivalent).

Reactions: Valerie Kerr