Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Get peace of mind with confidential and personalised legal advice today. Visit LawTap to find a lawyer and book an appointment instantly. Some lawyers even offer a free first consultation.

Pensions Paying for Aged Care - What Happens to Loan?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by monarto, 3 September 2016.

  1. monarto

    monarto Member

    13 June 2015
    Likes Received:
    I am 72 years of age, have severe Parkinson's disease, am a Viet Vet, and have no income or assets. I have a house shared with my wife. We are separating. I am going through the process of entering an aged care facility. My wife's wages precluded me from having a pension but once the separation goes through I receive a service pension. I do have an existing small disability support pension. These two pensions will pay for the facility.

    My wife will retain the house.

    In or around 2005, I borrowed $50.000 Equity Access Loan with the house as security. I have paid the monthly interest rate from my wife's carers allowance.

    Now that I have to pay the aged care facility I have no cash to pay this loan or interest on the loan any longer.

    What can I do?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Well-Known Member

    16 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Is the loan solely in your name? If the house is still security for the loan then ultimately if you don't pay it they can take the house and sell it. Have you negotiated with your wife that she will get the house? Has this title transfer been done yet?
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page