LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Getting Full Pension from Centrelink?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by pauldo, 22 July 2016.

Tags:
  1. pauldo

pauldo Member

I have separated from my wife of 28 years. We own our house in both names and have $400.000. I would like to buy a house for myself and my wife has the other.

I am coming up to pension age and Centrelink has told me that if I buy a house in my name, then they will look at the house that my wife is in as an asset, and I will not get a full pension.

If I put the new house in both our names, they will deem that as gifting to my wife and I will not get a full pension.

Any help is welcome.

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

Have you considered divorce and finalising a property settlement? While ever you are still married, you have a joint interest in each other's property, which is why Centrelink takes it into account as an asset affecting your pension.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

Does the house have a mortgage or any other interest on it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pauldo

pauldo Member

Yes, I have thought of that but I was looking at the legal side. Why can't the new house be in joint names?

5. pauldo

pauldo Member

No

6. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

In that case, divorce and property settlement may well provide the most clarity.
    In Centrelink-think, a mere gift can still be a deemed asset.