QLD Pedophiles at bowling club

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I respectfully suggest Tim has not read the policy hence his inaccurate comments. It seems clear to me the policy applies to everyone affiliated with Bowls Australia.
I respectfully suggest that Rod does not understand the nature of federated sports bodies.
I further respectfully suggest that Rod is conflating the anti-discrimination regime with the principles of Natural Justice, hence his inaccurate comments.

In any event, Rod appears to have overlooked that Clause 7 (with complimentary mention in clause 4.3) of the Policy purports to impose a duty in those covered by the policy to protect children above all else.
To put it another way - BA's policy position seems to be that discrimination (if it exists at all)
takes second place to the duty to protect children.
And they're right. I say this because any alternative interpretation would be absurd,
and therefore, a legal nullity.

So, like I said... Discrimination - nothing much to worry about there.

Did I already point to this thread?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Tim W. Do you think it’s reasonable for the club to ask them to relinquish their membership as a first step?
I think it's reasonable for the board to do what their own lawyer advises.

What you propose is do-able.
But it will be ugly and difficult,
and you will need to be well, and case-specifically, advised.
This is because, as my signature says,
It's a really bad idea to make big decisions based on
what some guy says on the internet.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
suggest that Rod does not understand the nature of federated sports bodies.

I have to acknowledge this is a distinct possibility.

suggest that Rod is conflating the anti-discrimination regime with the principles of Natural Justice

Don't agree with this comment. Both principles are in play here.

appears to have overlooked that Clause 7

?? Clause 7 in the policy I read is titled: 7. Complaints procedures. Are we comparing different policies?

I agree a primary responsibility is to protect members and protection of members trumps discrimination. I'm arguing there is no proven risk to members so discrimination needs to be considered. A newspaper report is hardly proof of risk. The OP needs better evidence of risk to members before taking action.

And they're right. I say this because any alternative interpretation would be absurd,
and therefore, a legal nullity.

I am not, and didn't argue this position.

I think it's reasonable for the board to do what their own lawyer advises.

We agree!

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
?? Clause 7 in the policy I read is titled: 7. Complaints procedures. Are we comparing different policies?
I'm looking at "Bowls Queensland Member Protection Policy", Nov 2015 edition.
Am I a version behind?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
I'm looking at Bowls Australia 'Member Protection Policy V9', approved: July, 2016.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I
I'm looking at Bowls Australia 'Member Protection Policy V9', approved: July, 2016.
Do we know if Bowls Queensland has a more recent state level document?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
I didn't see one.

I noted the hierarchy BA -> BQ -> Assoc -> Club, where BQ is a member state of BA (BA constitution, sch 1) and subject to BA policies (BA Const cl 5.4.3.6).