QLD Club Ignores Constitution - Our Rights as Members?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ernie

12 December 2014
In our town, a local club amalgamated with another local club, and in due course they sold off $1,100,000 of assets but have refused to help out the members of the club who owned the assets, despite wording in the constitution that they must 'promote & enhance the game of Lawn Bowls etc'.

As we have been told to 'take it to the Supreme Court', is there a Lawyer out there with sufficient drive to see that this injustice is corrected, who will take up this case on a 'no win no fee' basis?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What exactly to you mean by
"help out the members of the club who owned the assets"?

Ernie

12 December 2014
What exactly to you mean by
"help out the members of the club who owned the assets"?
Thanks Tim,

I was endeavouring to be brief but I guess that I will have to expand.

In 2005, the Bowlers owned land, a green & a newish Clubhouse, (at Opal St) but were in debt about $350,000. Talks were held with the RSL Club & it was decided to amalgamate. (The new Club was the named the 'RSL & Citizens Memorial Bowls Club'). The RSL would relocate to Opal St after selling their premises (at Maple St, on leasehold land) to the Council. However, the Council changed its mind, the RSL lost interest in the Opal St operation which of course went downhill, so when they had the numbers on the Board, they sold Opal St.

They have since changed the constitution, removing every word to do with bowls.

In the process, many items in the constitution were flouted (eg correct notification of upcoming Special Meetings, an expulsion of Board members because of so-called 'conflict of interest' etc). I have a document to back up everything that I say.