QLD Outstanding entitlements when a business closes

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jason Rivers

19 October 2015
Hi all,

Some information on my situation would be much appreciated.

On Friday my employment with the company that I work for was terminated, as were four other employees as the company is closing down. On our separation certificates the owner put that the business closed on the 23rd of February. No formal or informal notice period was given about the business closing down however four other employees were aloud to remain on for the 3 week notice period to sell what’s in stock before she goes into liquidation.

The owner has given us four who lost our jobs information on the fair entitlements guarantee as she told us that she can not afford to pay our entitlements.

So my question are;

1. Has she done the wrong thing by allowing four to stay on so they get paid their notice period but sacked the other four who won’t get paid there notice period.

2. Does she have to pay the 3 week notice period before she goes into liquidation?

3. What can I do with Centrelink. Centrelink will not give me any payments until I receive my entitlement payment which won’t be looked at for 16 weeks by the FEG.

4. Is there anything I can legally do to seize her assets such as her brand new Lexus that she is driving. To sell to payout my entitlements and other employees entitlements?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au