VIC Optus Internet Problems - What to Do under Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

K Man

8 November 2015
Hi, for the last 3 months, my family has been experiencing extremely slow internet, to a point where it is impossible to even do simple google searches. I have phoned up Optus Support about 10 times now and each time has been given the same script of conversation, so much so that I have memorised the procedure.

The excuse is always that there is either line congestion, even during off peak hours such as 2 am in the morning. The second thing they have said since I started phoning up 3 months ago is that they are currently doing work in the area to improve this or awaiting a level 2 technician or some parts and it will be fixed shortly. This has been the case for the last 3 months with absolutely no change and they always say there is no estimated time as they do not want to get it wrong.

Is there anything I can do under Australian Consumer Law as I am currently in a contract with them for about 1 more year, but for the last 3 months I have not been receiving the internet service I have been paying for, and it should not take a multimillionaire company like Optus 3 months and counting to fix a problem that apparently is affecting their customers.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Do you essentially want to end your contract or to get your money back?