QLD Best Way to Claim Compensation Under Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MGregM

17 February 2017
I have been with this particular ISP for about a year and in 2016 my ADSL2+ service was not ideal with sporadic interruptions of service and a number of incidents where the internet was out for a few hours. I was able to dismiss those interruptions as not frequent enough to be of consequence. Also the downsteam speed has been maintained at 9 Mbps which was satisfactory to me at the time.

At the beginning of 2017, this situation has changed and the interruptions of service have increased to the point where I was disconnected from internet as often as 8 times in 10 minutes. Additionally, the speed I am experiencing right now varies greatly from 1.6 Mbps to 7.7 Mbps. In fact, it sits about 2.5 Mbps for most of the time.

I have reported this severe change to this ADSL2+ service to technical support and I was visited by a number of technicians looking into any number of issues that could be causing it. Unfortunately, they were not able to establish the cause of these issues.

I am currently seeking compensation for the significant downgrade of the internet services provided and I was informed by the ISP they are going to calculate the amount of reimbursement based on the number of days my service was slow or suffering multiple disconnections after it is fixed. Until such day I am to pay my bills normally. What would be the best way to proceed with this situation in Australian Consumer Law?

Additional info:

The ISP I am with is the only choice as far as ASDL2+ is concerned in the area where I live. ADLS2+ is the best compromise of data and "speed" in the area (2nd option being 4G USB modem with a steep pricing model).

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Why use ACL in the first instance?

Have you been to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman?

Sounds very much like a line fault. Have they swapped copper pairs for you?

MGregM

17 February 2017
TIO has been contacted and informed of this issue, no response yet.

The fault has not been identified at this stage. According to the technician it is not likely to be the line. They have not swapped the copper pairs, instead they changed the wall socket and the port in the exchange.

I just got a wonderful message from my ISP informing me of my internet working fine now which is complete and utter lie.