NSW Obscene gesture

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mr_smith

7 October 2020
Hello,

Just wondering if a person can be charged for sticking up their middle finger at another person?
More in a driving situation where one driver flips off another driver who is being impatient at a round about. Which is what happened to me over the weekend. I had an impatient driver yelling at me and waving his hands franticaly wanting me to go through the round a bout when it was unsafe to do so. So as I drove off and honked the horn and gave him the middle finger.

And if that person does take offensive to such obscene gesture do they have the right to sue me?

Not my brightest moment, but when you have a screaming child in the back, a wife telling you to go one way and the navigator saying go another way, something is going to crack.

Sorry if the questions are silly, but it will relieve my anxiety if they get answered.

Thank you

Atticus

6 February 2019
but when you have a screaming child in the back, a wife telling you to go one way and the navigator saying go another way, something is going to crack.
Sounds like you were holding up traffic then....

Relax, nothing is going to happen. Half the driving population of Australia would be guilty of flipping the bird or similar on occasion ...

Tip .... If in doubt, go with the GPS navigator. If it's wrong you can blame that.. if your Mrs is wrong, you'll probably somehow still get the blame :p