NSW Road rage

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mr_smith

7 October 2020
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get some advice on an incident that occurred the other evening.

I was driving down the M7 in Sydney in the right lane when a car started tailgating me
There was road works at the time and it was 40km/hr . I stuck in the right lane and
I chose not to move and slowed down
The speed limit then changed to 90 after the road works, but I chose to still drive slowly in the right lane , the driver then Proceeded to high beam me and honk the horn. I eventually decided to move into the other lane and they drove off.

Just wondering what my rights are as a driver?
Can I go to the police to report this aggressive driving and can I take that driver to court and sue them for causing me distress ?

Thank you for your help and time

Atticus

6 February 2019
The speed limit then changed to 90 after the road works, but I chose to still drive slowly in the right lane , the driver then Proceeded to high beam me and honk the horn. I eventually decided to move into the other lane and they drove off.

Can I go to the police to report this aggressive driving and can I take that driver to court and sue them for causing me distress ?
It's an offence to drive in the right lane on a multi lane road with a posted speed of 80KMH or greater unless you are overtaking, turning right or making a U turn ... You made a bad choice by not following the rules, the driver behind sounded his warning device. Nothing wrong with that.

Any distress you felt could have been avoided if you had resumed normal speed & adhered to the rules by keeping to the left.

Last edited:

DavidI

20 November 2018
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get some advice on an incident that occurred the other evening.

I was driving down the M7 in Sydney in the right lane when a car started tailgating me
There was road works at the time and it was 40km/hr . I stuck in the right lane and
I chose not to move and slowed down

Thank you for your help and time
In most cases the police will encourage to proceed with anything unless there is property damage or someone is hurt but because you were caused distressed, it will not look good for you.