NSW Traffic Law - Can Driver Complain About Minor Traffic Incident?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
B

Btros

Last night, I was involved in a traffic incident where I had a very stupid driver behind me high beaming their car lights at me because I had my dog in the back of the car and them flashing their lights was aggravated my dog and they were amused by this. However, I was not amused and they also got a reaction out of me as I pulled over stopping traffic hoping this driver would go around me, which they did quite abruptly then they cut out in front of me as I drove off.

This, unfortunately, tried my patience so I gave them back their own medicine and continually flashed my high beams at them as we were stuck at a set of red lights

When the lights turned green they drove off and I drove off and that was the end of the matter, not before ahe stuck up her finger at me as she drove off, which I found amusing as she was the one that started the whole altercation.

Can anything legally come of this incident under traffic law? Can she make a complaint to the police or can she take legal action saying I was causing her grief and mental distress?

Before anything legally can come about such incidents does the person need to file a police report and if the police to come to me, am I obligated to answer their questions or can I opt not to and get a lawyer first?

Sorry for all these questions but I get quite nervous and anxious with such situations, and always assume the worst case scenario.

Thank you for all your help

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Let me be clear.

You are a danger to yourself and to others on the road.
Please surrender your Drivers Licence immediately.

B

Btros

Let me be clear.

You are a danger to yourself and to others on the road.
Please surrender your Drivers Licence immediately.

Though this is only your opinion, it does not really answer my question.

Considering I was not the instigator of this incident and was the victim and, unfortunately, let my emotions take over, in which most humans in my situation would probably have done the same.

But thanks for your reply anyway.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Can anything legally come of this incident under traffic law? Can she make a complaint to the police or can she take legal action saying I was causing her grief and mental distress?

1. Yes
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

How likely is anything going to happen? On my guess <10% for all three. Suspect police will say no witnesses, go away we are busy.

Hopefully you know you did the wrong thing. Two individuals behaving badly does not make either one right.

AlphaR1

2 August 2016
Nothing is going to happen to you in regards to the police, stop stressing. Next time be the bigger person though. The road is full of morons, don't become another one.