NSW No Stopping sign across side street

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GatesyG8Z

7 January 2020
Hi,
I recently got a ridiculous $268 ticket for disobeying a No Parking sign, I was parked on a small section of curb on the main road between two side streets where there was no sign. The nearest No Stopping sign was across the street in front of me with an arrow pointing towards where I was parked, the sign across the street behind me had fallen over and was laying on the sidewalk, and there were no yellow lines on the ground to indicate no parking. I had even left enough room in front and behind of me for cars to get in and out of both streets safely.
I appealed it already but they denied it saying I was "parked in a clearly signposted no stopping zone".

So do No Stopping signs continue over an intersection/side street onto the other side?
And if not should I appeal this in court?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
When you say 'small section of curb', how long was it?

Under NSW law, you cannot park with 10 metres of an intersection unless there is a sign saying you can (20 metres if the intersection has traffic lights).

GatesyG8Z

7 January 2020
I would have been closer than 10 metres away from the corner on both sides of the car. Maybe 5 metres each side. But does that rule still apply to an unnamed side street to a boat ramp? And shouldn't they have yellow lines to indicate how far away I have to be?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Does it apply? Yes, to any intersection of roads.

Do they need a yellow line? No. There's a specific section in the NSW Road Rules (rule 170 - NSW legislation) which provides for the infringement. Because it's a blanket rule that applies to all intersections, they don't need to signpost it.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
To add... If the "unnamed side street to a boat ramp" is open to the public, then it's a road under the road rules and the road rules apply to it in the same way as they do to any other public road.