WA Street with "Local Traffic Only" Sign - Can I Park There?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rachh

24 February 2017
There is a sign up saying "local traffic only" and I don't live in the street but have parked here. I spoke to the council but they say it's a privately owned street and cannot enforce any fines, etc.

Am I able to park on that street (I live a few blocks away) or can I be sued by the residents who live in the street?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Rachh,

In theory, if the property is privately owned and you have been advised not to park there (signs) then they may be able to take action against you.

DMQC

29 June 2016
No, but it would be similar to parking your car in their driveway if it actual street is privately owned. They would probably just block you in to annoy you or similar, so might not be worth the hassle.

Clancy

6 April 2016
I am not sure what 'local traffic only' means? Presumably your car is localised to the locality that it is located!?

If there are no 'private property keep out' signs around then you are not trespassing unless you're ignoring someone asking you to leave.