LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD No Access to Daughter - Pay Child Support under Family Law?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by T.lee, 2 September 2015.

1. T.lee

T.lee Member

Long story as short as I can get it..

7 years ago I had a very brief, drunken fling with a girl who came back a week later pregnant. Have had nothing but drama since.. I was allowed access for first year (I was with new partner, now wife) while the mother got drunk daily. Then access was stopped when I refused to leave my partner.

For the past 6 1/2 years it has been a constant battle, no amount of money could win me and have been constantly denied access/contact! She always said the girl wasn't mine so she wasn't going to go for child support even though I have paid for clothes, shoes and school fees/supplies. Now I have just gotten a child support letter in the mail saying I have to pay a ridiculous amount a month in current and back dated child support.

I have a wife and 2 children here to support and do not have the money they are asking for a week. The mother refuses to let me get a paternity test or DNA Testing and my family (who are allowed to babysit when needed on strict conditions I am not allowed to be contacted or to call while child is there) have been "banned" from seeing her because they sent me a photo without permission and she is worried they will do test behind her back. I have no more money left to fight this losing battle and I am at a loss as to what more I can do. Is there any way I cannot pay child support under family law without having live on the streets to finance a lawyer just to get nowhere yet again?

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

The court can make orders for a DNA test to make a parentage declaration, and you can self-represent for this process to save money, but I would contact Legal Aid for a free consultation to discuss your situation and get some legal advice. The first thing you should pursue is clarify about whether your the father or not, though.