SA Neighbour's Disruptive Visitors Beeping Their Car Horn?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

?????

12 December 2018
Hi guys,

I have an issue with a neighbour's visitors, a couple houses up, who beep their car horn whenever they leave. This is most days, sometimes it's multiple times a day. And it's not just one "beep", it's either "beep!-beep!" or "beep!-beep!...beep!-beep!"

It can be very annoying, especially as we live in a quiet neighbourhood and this is basically the only disruptive noise I hear.

What are the laws in Australian Law, and how do I approach this?

Recently I have been keeping logs of the date and time, the vehicle models if I see it (can't see the plates though), and the sound (how many beeps).

Majority of the time it is one of the visitors in particular that does this most frequently.

If I can do this anonymously, I would much rather that. I don't know the neighbour personally.

Do I send a letter? Put a note in their letterbox? Or on the visitors cars windshields? Can council do something about this?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. A friendly chat first. If that doesn't work, a note on the windshield as a reminder.

2. If that fails, maybe a call to police. It is against road rules to use a horn in this way (1 penalty unit in SA). I suspect the police won't do anything though unless they are bored.

3. You can try the council; chances are they will not act because it is not frequent enough, but worth a try.

4. You can be passive aggressive and go outside and record their behaviour making it obvious you are recording them.

5. You can get aggressive yelling at them that if they toot the horn one more time you will rip the eff... horn out of their car and place it where it amplifies flatulence.

6. Do nothing and stew on it for the next few years.

7. Adopt ZEN practices, recognise the problem is internal, and fix the issue within yourself.

8. Take them to court for nuisance behaviour.

9. Move home.

I do not endorse or recommend all these options :)

?????

12 December 2018
1. A friendly chat first. If that doesn't work, a note on the windshield as a reminder.

2. If that fails, maybe a call to police. It is against road rules to use a horn in this way (1 penalty unit in SA). I suspect the police won't do anything though unless they are bored.

3. You can try the council; chances are they will not act because it is not frequent enough, but worth a try.

4. You can be passive aggressive and go outside and record their behaviour making it obvious you are recording them.

5. You can get aggressive yelling at them that if they toot the horn one more time you will rip the eff... horn out of their car and place it where it amplifies flatulence.

6. Do nothing and stew on it for the next few years.

7. Adopt ZEN practices, recognise the problem is internal, and fix the issue within yourself.

8. Take them to court for nuisance behaviour.

9. Move home.

I do not endorse or recommend all these options :)

Thank you Rod :)
Some amusing options there, haha.

I’m not a confrontational type of person, maybe I’ll put a friendly note in their letterbox, like this:

“Hi, Just a friendly note if you could please kindly ask your visitors to not beep their horn when leaving your property. That would be much appreciated. Thank you. :)

What do you think?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Nothing wrong with the note. Could be written many ways but it should reflect what you want to say, not what others think.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'd be polite and I would not be annonymous but I understand why you might want to be. I think the wording is reasonable. If they are reasonable people you'd like to think they'd ask their mates to stop. Make your plan about what to do if they choose to ignore / increase the hooting. Sadly, this world has more than a few bad eggs in it...