SA Options on How to Stop Noisy Neighbours?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Solo

1 June 2015
Hi

The problem:

I live not far from very noisy, anti-social neighbours. We're talking raving drunks, yelling, thumping bass several times per month starting six pm and ending often as late as eight in the morning. It's so loud I can feel it through my pillow. It stops me sleeping and so it stops me working.

How I've been dealing with it.

I call the police out with an anonymous call and they drive around and stop the morons from making their noise, but because the police are so ineffective they usually start it back up again around 30 mins later. The police refuse to act against them unless I give up my anonymity. They have no problem acting against individuals who break the Road Traffic Act, do they?

My question:

The morons are tenants, so I am trying to get the details of the landlord from the council. I can do this legally. Considering that both the council and the police refuse to act on my behalf, my question is, what options do I have left beside moving house? What can I threaten the landlord with if anything?

Thank you in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can take both the tenants and landlord to court or the tenant to SACAT.

You have a common law right (nuisance, quiet enjoyment of your property) and a statutory right (caused or permitted an interference with the reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of another person who resides in the immediate vicinity) under the Residential Tenancies Act 1995 and can use either to fix you problem. SACAT using the Residential Tenancies Act 1995 is probably easier.

You can use a lawyer to help prepare your response to SACAT or DIY. Court is harder and definitely needs a lawyer to prepare the case. Make sure you have everything well documented, including the times the police have been called. A police report confirming the attendance at the noisy neighbours would also be good.

But if you are going to this extent, why not make an official complaint to the police? Once court papers are issued the tenants will know who it is anyway.

Also, read this: sa.gov.au - Applications for eviction