SA Neighbor Trespassing Drones

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joe2movies

6 December 2019
My neighbour recently flew a drone into our backyard below 10m and broke the rules/regulations by CASA. It was unexpected so we didnt get a chance to take a photo. He flew the drone in public opposite the park. When we confronted him he admitted it and couldnt answer when we asked WHY YOU DID THAT? We called police and they rang him. He admitted it and said he was testing. Its in the police report he admitted he was wrong.

This isnt the first time he trespass into our property. He did it when our house was built. He walked into our house like its his house. I regret SO MUCH that i didnt do anything. Not only that he lets his dogs bark non stop, party really loud on weekends etc..(but that has been dealt with he was scared when cops came).

Cos we dont have photos i doubt CASA can do anything. We want him to get a legal warning but it cost $600 for a lawyer to draft a letter. I need advice on how to scare this guy to leave us alone. I know he will stop if theres some legal actions.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
CASA can do plenty.
Whether or not they choose to in your case,
that is a different question.

You've come here looking for ways to threaten and intimidate him.
None of the lawyers here will give you advice on how to do that,
because doing so can be an offence in itself.

Joe2movies

6 December 2019
CASA can do plenty.
Whether or not they choose to in your case,
that is a different question.

You've come here looking for ways to threaten and intimidate him.
None of the lawyers here will give you advice on how to do that,
because doing so can be an offence in itself.

Thanks for the advice. So you're saying with the police report that he admitted he was wrong CASA can do something about it if they choose too?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
CASA has finite enforcement resources.
They prioritise.
While your complaint may indeed be valid, with only your statement of complaint,
then the prospects of them doing anything more than writing him a cautionary letter are remote.
if they even do that.
Quite simply - you're complaint may just not be serious enough.

As to any action by police, I very much doubt that there will be any record of any admission he made to police over the phone.
And even if there is, then it was probably an uncautioned statement, and thereby worthless as evidence. And there doesn't seem to be anything else.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
If you want something done then you'll need video. A wide angle CCTV camera should be able to catch the 10m height you need to cover - you can get them pretty cheap these days from eBay etc.