LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

My Experience with Caltex Service Station

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Sage Rose, 17 July 2014.

1. Sage Rose

Sage Rose Member

Locked inside caltex service station, forced to be mediator, put in the middle, of a violent incident between a young girl stealing a sandwich, two other young people - one with a two month old baby, and the attendant who was verbally abusive, violent behavior and threatening with a bat and deliberately tried to aggravate things. Police came and watched video.

2. AnnaLJ

AnnaLJ Well-Known Member

Hi Sage Rose

Are you able to please provide more information on your situation with Caltex? Are you an employee of Caltex or were you simply a customer in the store?

What have the police said to you about your rights?

From what you've said, this doesn't appear to be a consumer law issue put perhaps a criminal and/or civil law matter.

3. Sage Rose

Sage Rose Member

Thanks for responding, more info -
    Just walked in to use ATM and purchase. While getting money out it started to all go down and suddenly I was locked inside and confronted with the situation.
    Police seemed more focused on whether or not I knew the young people or not. They said I appeared familiar with them, called them by name etc. I am a friendly, personable person also a teacher having learned about conflict resolution etc.i used their names as a calming attention getting tactic to have them focus on me and what I was saying to avoid further violence.
    Nothing was said to me about it all by the cops. I wasn't asked if I was ok etc.
    I'm sure you are right about it being not a consumer issue.
    Just wondering what stand or move to make.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards Sage Rose

4. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @Sage Rose
    1. From the information provided, I agree with @AnnaLJ that the situation sounds like a criminal and/or civil matter (not Australian Consumer Law).
    2. What are you looking for from the Caltex service station? For example, an explanation and apology and/or compensation of some kind.

winston wolf likes this.
  5. Sage Rose

Sage Rose Member

Thanks for your reply John. Definitely an apology for one.
    Secondly, the attendant's behavior addressed/fired whatever.
    Thirdly, I am questioning the concept of compensation, not sure what to think.
    Sage