VIC Mother taking me to Family Court for property separation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Chris, while you probably don't 'deserve' to be going through this, you are and you have to 'man up' and deal with it in the best possible way. I agree with rjm, you may come across badly even if you are the 'victim' here. Try to keep emotion out of it as much as you can, stick to the facts and look like the sensible one. That's if you even get a word in. In my limited court experience, most of it is decided by submissions, not discussions. Would be interested to hear your experiences after the event anyway.

D

Deleted member 28915

Thanks...

Well as for an update... COVID-19 happened and the case is adjourned and would probably drag on for a while...

The VLA office in the building provided me with a list of around 25 firms who may help via pro bono, legal aid and minimum $2,000 retainers and or caveats on my home.

I guess this is all for now...

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
I thought they were going ahead with hearings by phone? Anyway, that buys you some time to sort out your representation at least.

D

Deleted member 28915

Yeah I'm pretty sure when the case continues it would be over the phone via conference.