WA Custody of Children - What are My Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


Well-Known Member
23 July 2014
Agree with sammy01. A lot of parents seem to think they have to 'file for custody' but this is Australia, not the United States. If you don't have parenting orders in place, you can parent how you choose. The Family Law Act *tells the court* what to do about parenting disputes. It does not tell the parents what to do after separation in relation to their kids.

You have the three eldest in your care. Go and get the fourth, and let her start the proceedings if she wants, because then she won't have a choice but to communicate with you. I wouldn't normally make this suggestion, but you already have the three eldest kids living with you, and the court won't likely want to separate siblings in the way that she has.
  • Like
Reactions: Hope this helps