Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Mother Attempted Suicide - Child Protection and DNA Testing?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Dave925, 13 June 2014.

1. Dave925

Dave925 Member

I recently received a call from child protection advising me that I have a child born December 2013. I have not had any contact with the mother since July 2013 but I was aware she was pregnant and I told her that if I was the father I would support the child.
    The mother recently attempted suicide and the child is now in protective custody. I was named as the father of the child. I have an appointment with child protection to sign documents which were referred to as "court assessment orders". The paternity for the child is not authenticated through DNA testing, and I have reasons to believe that I am not able to father children (these reasons are not confirmed medically but from personal observation and experience).

I am not currently in a postion to care for a child, and would like some advice on how to proceed.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Find out about paternity before you do anything else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    winston wolf and Worldly1 like this.
  3. Worldly1

Worldly1 Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    winston wolf likes this.