QLD Negative paternity DNA test query

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mark Carter

14 January 2019
i have recently completed a DNA test to confirm that I am not the father of a child I was alleged to be. My questions are:
1. Am I legally allowed to request the mother and son complete a statutory declaration saying they accept the negative result and will not contest things such as my will, etc in the future?
2. And if able to now the child is an adult so do I have to request both mother and son do stat dec or can I just deal with the child that I returned a negative paternity result to.
I would like to lodge both the stat decs and negative DNA results with my will wiith my solicitor.

Migz

20 November 2016
WHY, are you needing to supply this information to your solicitor?

Did you pay child support for this child as he grew up?

Mark Carter

14 January 2019
WHY, are you needing to supply this information to your solicitor?

Did you pay child support for this child as he grew up?

No I never paid a cent but mainly for my peace of mind so I know my family will be protected from any contesting of wills, etc in the future. I also have doubts as to whether the child was told the truth the outcome of DNA test result.

Migz

20 November 2016
Were you married to this woman? And did you help raise this child at any time? If you did help raise this child, then yes the child will be able to contest your will, as it runs along the same lines of a step child contesting a will of a non-biological parent.

Mark Carter

14 January 2019
No I had a brief and casual ‘thing’ with this woman a very long time ago and when the child was around 16 I was sent a ‘request for maintenance’ letter - first time ever heard of the child’s existence and the fact she was alleging I was the father - hence the DNA test.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree, you are not the father, you have never supported the child, never had a relationship with the child.

I'd be resting peacefully.