LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW CommInsure Discontinued Insurance with Commonwealth Bank - Affect My Credit History?

Discussion in 'Insurance Law Forum' started by Ash25, 13 March 2016.

1. Ash25

Ash25 Member

I had CommInsure portable device insurance and claimed 4 times in a 2-year span (2 for repairs and 2 for loss of phone). The repairs were nominal (100-200 AUD). After this, they sent a letter that they have discontinued my insurance with Commonwealth Bank.

I have two questions:

1. Does this impact my credit history?
    2. As all claims were genuine, is there any way I tell them to continue my policy again?

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Read the policy. The terms and conditions of insurance may enable them to discontinue insurance after a certain no. of claims. A company has the right not to sell you a certain financial product if they choose.

3. Iamthelaw

Iamthelaw Well-Known Member

1 - No it will not impact your credit history. It will impact your ability to apply for, and be granted insurance in the future though given your duty of disclosure.

2 - Generally, an insurer is allowed to refuse to renew a term of insurance or even not offer you insurance in the first place. I would check your PDS to be sure though. Moreover, you could contact the Financial Ombudsman Service for more information or for conciliation in an attempt to solve the matter.