VIC Misled by Car Salesperson - Take it Up with Ford?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Clara Barton

30 November 2015
I’ve just bought a new Ford vehicle and as part of the deal I get a free RACV roadside assistance. But I must get the vehicle serviced with Ford every 15000 km to re-qualify. I’ve received all the RACV welcome info and membership number – membership valid until my next service.

I went to get my first service yesterday and was told that because I pay for the service through a car lease scheme, I don’t qualify for the RACV renewal. They said the offer was only for owners who paid for their own service direct, not owners paying via a lease company.

Can they do this? The sales guy never mentioned this and he knew from day one that I was buying through a lease scheme as he had to do all the paperwork! He gave me the information highlighting the free RACV. Obviously, he didn’t know I wouldn’t qualify.

The info does say in the small print to refer to the Ford website for full terms and conditions; which in even smaller print says lease vehicles don’t qualify. So I guess they can quote the small print. But I do feel misled by the salesperson as the free RACV was a nice sweetener when choosing to buy from Ford. I’ll also be $500 out of pocket in three years which isn’t great.

Can I take this up with Ford or will I be wasting my time?

Thanks

S

Sophea

Did you have to pay anything for the RACV? If not, what do you want out of this? If you can't get it, do you want to take your car back for a refund or something? Because trying to fight for that will cost you a lot more than $500.