NSW Managing Agent Negligence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

john2

12 October 2020
I own an investment property which was vacated by the previous tenant in mid-July. I never heard from the agent that the tenant is vacating and it has been almost 3 months now. I only checked last night my account where rents of all my IP's are deposited and noticed missing rent for this IP in question for the past 2 months. Yes, I should have checked this earlier. It seems the agent has advertised this property at an above-market rent (pre-COVID rent paid by my previous tenant) and since then the rents have fallen by about $60-$80 per week. The managing agent has not even rung me to advise the property hasn't found a tenant and whether should we reduce the rent. Had I known about this I would have slashed the rent to market value and I would have had it rented by now. The agent claims he sent me a letter advising of the vacancy but I never received it. Shouldn't he have called me for something so important? Nor have they bought me any offers from prospective tenants wanting to rent the property at a reduced rent. Now the result is I am out of pocket by the rent of 3 months + the amount of time it takes to be rented at the new market rent. Is there any way I can claim this loss of rent from the managing agent due to their inability to contact me and their inability to reduce rent to the market rent to get it leased out in reasonable time?