VIC Loan Car from Dealership - Who is Responsible for Car Registration?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Labassa1

4 February 2016
We were provided a loan car from a car dealership when ours was being fixed. This was a regular occurrence between the years of 2009 - 2012 as they could not locate the problem which was that the car would simply stop in the middle of the road and we would have to get it towed to the dealership.

Today my partner has been advised by Victoria Police that he has outstanding warrants for driving an unregistered vehicle (it was picked up on toll roads) dating back to October 2010. The registration of the vehicle is not a car we owned and is not recorded on any of our 'service agreements' (despite other registration numbers being recorded at various times). At no stage do either of us recall signing any 'loan car agreements' and neither do we have any copies as we still have the majority of other records - yes we are hoarders.

The problem is that now we have a list of fines for going through toll roads which we're not sure was the car we were lent or our responsibility in regards to these.

What is the responsibility of the dealership to provide us with a car that is registered?

I'm aware that in usual circumstances it is the driver's responsibility to make sure the car they are driving is registered, but surely when the car is coming from a dealership there must be some reasonable expectation that you don't need to do a check! I can't even find any dealership 'loaner' agreement online that is anything other than a document which puts the onus of accidents and insurance on the driver.

Any insights welcome.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Was there a sticker on the car with the registration details? It was obviously the registered owners responsibility to pay registration for the vehicle, and if you had no way of knowing if the registration had been paid then you shouldn't be penalised for that but if you could see that the sticker was out of date, then perhaps you could be culpable. I would be sending the fines to the car dealership with a letter of demand, demanding them to pay them.