QLD Legal assistance in lodging Form-9-Application-UCPR & Form-46-Affidavit-UCPR to set aside default judgement.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
1 June 2019
I am seeking to lodge an application to have a default judgement set aside so I can have it removed from my credit report.
The judgement claim has been satisfied and the plaintiff(Credit Corp) will not contest.
The reason for failing to file a defense within the required timeframe is:

• 12/09/2017 I was served the claim.
  • 15/09/2017 I entered into an agreement with a debt negotiator(ChapterTwo) to negotiate a payment plan and I assumed they would stop the proceedings prior to Credit Corp being awarded a judgement.
  • 10/10/2017 I was notified by email that I could still avoid court action.
I notified ChapterTwo 11/10/2017 and they came back with an agreed upon payment plan 20/10/2017.
The payment plan was adhered to until it was finalized.
I had a change of address and did not become aware that a judgement had been granted to the plaintiff 28/05/2018 until I was denied credit ~06/2019.
I paid the judgement early and in full 06/2021 and sought removal of the judgement from the credit reporting body(illion) they have not responded/refused removal or updating the report to paid status.
I contacted Credit Corp to request they update the judgement status to paid, they indicated I would need to make application to have the judgement set aside.

I contacted a local solicitor who during an initial paid consultation said have a good case to have the judgement set aside. They quoted me ~$2000 with a $1650 "retainer" - that seems excessive. Is this what I should expect to pay for lodging an application of this nature? Is there any way I can do it cheaper?
-Cheers

Last edited: