NSW Legal aid refused, is it worth pursuing child support?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CuriousNSW

3 September 2017
I'm a single mother, currently recieving Centrelink. My child has not had contact with his father in over two years. If I don't pursue child support then my payments will be cut, as of a few days ago my application to legal aid was denied. I'm not in danger of abuse or him attempting to take my child, is it worth pursuing child support or taking the payment cut? He will not agree he is the father even though there is zero doubt. How much has it cost people to pursue? What has been the result?
Thank you.

sammy01

27 September 2015
so what is the problem? Tell centrelink the name of the father and let them deal with...

CuriousNSW

3 September 2017
so what is the problem? Tell centrelink the name of the father and let them deal with...

I've been directed that Centrelink and child support are two different entities and that I have to go through child support to work it out. I can't just 'let them deal with it' as much as I would like to.

Time101

10 July 2017
I'm in the same situation as you.

Better to pursue child support and take the loss from Centrelink.

Yes they are separate companies. But when it comes to child support they work out the difference.
You should still receive some payment from Centrelink for your son (reduced yes).
Child support works payments amounts from your ex income.

Ring up child support and start the ball rolling. Child support is linked to Centrelink, they work what your amount will be.

My ex was never amicable and with this in place. You don't have to deal with him as they deduct payment from his wages.

Good luck in your application.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Is dad on the birth certificate?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Both Centrelink and the Child Support Agency are part of the Department of Human Services. They're not 'companies', they're government agencies (although a technical difference, it is an important one). Although they come under the same department, don't expect they will necessarily share information too well. And don't expect you can tell one agency something, and expect the other to know it.

Contact Child Support and give them your situation. They'll direct you how to proceed and what they need from you.

Time101

10 July 2017
Hmmm...
Sorry rob I disagree with your comment above.

They do share information. Like I said its all linked.

Once child support works out what ur entitled too, then the information gets sent to Centrelink where your payment will get cut.

You can't double dip in trying to get money from both when the calculate what u get from child support then Centrelink steps in and works their payments out which is the difference.

I'm in a situation that proves that's how they to it.

Child support goes up meaning Centrelink payments for your kids go down. You won't get the full payment from Centrelink if you get child support payments from your ex.

As to the answer that curious asked above. ... I would go through child support for sure in the first step.
They will tell him/her what he/she will get in child support payments. They will also tell them what happens next in the process.

I know they are government agencies but they are all linked.

Good luck curious. Hope this helped.