WA Lease Terminated but Food Truck Not Returned

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Santhanam

11 March 2015
I have a leased a food trailer to Mr X, and he is one of the company directors of the company. As he refused to pay the lease for the last 7 week, I have lodged a General Procedure Claim with the court. Do I send this to Mr X's address or the company's address.

Mr. X has terminated the lease agreement but refuses to return the food trailer.

Please advice.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If the lease is with the company, send it to the company address, and a copy to his address. Strictly speaking you do not need to send a copy to him, just helps your case if he denies ever receiving paperwork. BTW, use proof of delivery postage.

If the lease is in his personal name, send the paperwork to his address.

S

Sophea

Hi Santhanam,
Service of a process is most commonly effected by leaving it at, or by sending it by registered post to, the company's registered office. The registered office is the one which is listed with ASIC. This may require you to do a company search. I believe within about 2-3 days it is usually deemed to be served, if sent by post.

S

Sophea

Oh, also bear in mind that you may need to provide admissible evidence that the documents were served on the company. To do this you will need to show:
1. The letter and envelope enclosing the documents was properly addressed;
2. It was sent by pre-paid post;
3. It was posted as a letter; and
4. It was sent to the registered office of the company. (retain a copy of the company search for this purpose)