QLD Contract Law - hire agreement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Charlene41

1 July 2022
Hi There,

on the 28th April 2022. I purchased a food trailer that was currently being hired out, the terms of the sale were assumed that the current hirer would continue on and a new contract to be set up with myself, he avoided entering into and agreement and paying rent, until i had the trailed removed. We then entered into a month by month contract, Works were being completed on the van on Monday 27th June 2022, and the hirer was advised and asked not to move the van as they couldnt complete the job and needed to come back on the Thursday 30th June 2022, he then removed the van and took to his house and he provided one months notice on the 28th June but said to take the rent out of the $2,000 bond, which he has paid to the previous owner not myself and i wasn't transferred this bond. He then started demanding to get my van back i needed to pay him the 2K bond. I terminated his contract immediately by issuing email notice on the 30th June 2022 as he failed to pay rent on the 28th June 2022 and impeded the repairs being completed in which i had paid for. I have advised that he cannot request rent out of the bond, the bond is for damages and transferred after the return of the vehicle, and that unpaid rent for May is 800, and unpaid rent for July (if he keeps it) will be another 800.00. I have requested police assistant to have the truck returned but he will not release it and Police say that they cannot assist. Can anybody please provide guidance on what i can do to ensure i get my Food Trailer back?