VIC Leaking Car

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nugget1308

11 September 2020
I bought a jeep 09 from a car sales place about maybe over a month ago 4/5 days after having it I noticed it was leaking inside I took photos and let them know I took it in as there were a few other things wrong with it anyway they told me that they fixed the problem but a few days later it started leaking again I took more photos and told them again and they had told me I need to find the leak and tell them where it is and then they will fix it I asked if I could get my money back and they said no until I find the leak they won't fix it because it is not in the contract and they are not going to waste time on finding it because they said they have already tryed do I have any rights the inside of the car is getting decked because if all the water coming in

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Is the car less than ten years old?
And, did it have less than 160,000km on the clock when you bought it?
If so, then it's probably under the statutory warranty.

Otherwise, it may not be.
Check the paperwork of sale.
That will tell you the extent of any warranty.
I guess you are past the cooling off period by now?

On the plus side - they appear to be willing to fix the leak if you can find it.

Nugget1308

11 September 2020
Thank you for you advise, no the car had over 200.000 ks on it I thought it might of been a safety issue with the leaking I also thought because when I did let them know about the leaking it was before the 30 days and it has been a on going problem