QLD Keeping a custody diary

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
hey - out of interest - with keeping a diary of the custody schedule between myself and my ex. for our child - is keeping it in a excel document (dated for each row) with notes etc. ok or does it need to be in a paper diary format for Child Support services or the courts to acknowledge it?

thanks.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I have no direct experience of this, but I don't see how the Court would have a problem with it at all. Digital documents and records are widely accepted.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
If the court wants to be able to read my writing they very well had better accept excel tables. No way i'm handwriting all my stuff out.

I have copy and pasted certain excel tables of mine into an Affidavit to quickly show a lot of information neatly and nobody cared.

Just make sure everything is titled and formatted neatly. I would avoid using colours, suggest keeping it black and white.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
There's nothing wrong with colour, so long as it is an assist, not overdone and you produce it in colour for all parties. Done in the right manner, it should be appreciated by the Court as saving time and effort.

For example:

- "If your Honour will look at the figure on page 3, in column J, at line 54 ... [waits while everyone finds it]"
versus
- "If your Honour will look at the figure on page 3, highlighted in yellow..."

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
Ok thank you, figured as much.
My excel diary is done by fin. year and by day. Entry per day per line. with notes. I colour code based on who has him and highlight in red or yellow where major events have happened.
There is enough content there over the years for them to realise I've been doing it day to day and not just making it up for the courts. Thanks for your help.