NSW Custody of Children - Possible Outcomes for a Parenting Plan?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vinnie

13 October 2015
My wife and I were separated for 11 months. During the time of separation, she keep the child during the weekdays. She sends the child in the child care normally weekday and spend one day with my child. I pick up the child on the weekend on Saturday morning and drop my child to her mum on Sunday evening. The child is 3 and a half year old.

In the past, when she gave birth, she spent a year off from work. At the first three months after we have the baby, my mother and partly myself were helping my wife to take care of the baby and all housework. When she went to work (after one year giving birth), I lost a job and stayed a home for 14-16 months to do all housework and keeping the child. Note that she works on the weekend or public holiday as well depending on the roster (say 3-5 days of the weekend per month).

During the separation time, she and I took the child to some activities such as park, kids play, relative such as cousins etc. The child loves to live with us and see us. For the care of the baby, she can take the child to the doctor often than me as she kees the child during the weekdays.

What is the possible outcome for a parenting plan? Can I have any chance to have custody of children 50% of the time and my wife get 50%? And how to improve it?

Thanks.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
This is not something anyone here can answer, but if you're looking for guidance about what's in the child's best interests as required by the court, you should consider a child consultation with Relationships Australia. Their child experts will be able to give you an idea of what might be suitable for a child of that age and in their circumstances.

My stepdaughter was 1.5 years of age when her parents separated. She lived with her mum and spent time with her dad every second weekend and one night each week for about two years, and then the mother withheld contact all together, so court proceedings commenced. My stepdaughter is now five and we have her 50/50, which is only workable because:
  • her parents live within 5km of each other and work the same hours;
  • despite ongoing hostility, they can still communicate and make decisions at a very fundamental level;
  • the relationship my stepdaughter has with her parents is very close and healthy;
  • the parents otherwise operate mostly independently of each other, rather than depending on each other for the supply of possessions and information about school, medical issues, etc.
If you want to improve the circumstances, enrol in a post-separation parenting course and invest yourself in your daughter's life. Contact and develop a relationship with the day care so you can learn about any behavioural issues she might be experiencing. Attend her ballet (or whatever) recitals. Discuss any major issues with the mother and try and negotiate agreement.

Hope this helps on some way.