QLD joint car liability with ex partner

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rachie77

3 June 2018
have car in joint names with ex husband and I left due to DV, I can no longer afford to pay full repayment each fortnight now I’m on my own with 2 kids. He is primarily signutarty on loan if I give car back am I still liable to pay loan

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
am I still liable to pay loan

Unfortunately, yes if you have given a guarantee and can't get money from your ex-husband. Talk to the bank before giving up your transport. Using hardship, they may give you time to straighten out the problem before they take steps to recover their loan. If on talking terms with your ex-husband, maybe see what he is willing to do.

You may need to consider how the property is going to split overall.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
To add to what Rod said, there's generally no such thing as 'primary signatory' on a loan. If you're both borrowers, it will undoubtedly be joint and several liability - meaning that either, or both, of you can be pursued for payment. If you're a guarantor, which is different, you can only be pursued if the borrower has failed to comply with the loan terms.