NSW Illegal Disclosure of Information - Help with Privacy and Reputation Damage?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
10 July 2018
Hi,

Is there a lawyer in NSW who is experienced in personal breach of privacy matters where reputation damage has been caused? In this instance, the breach relates to illegal disclosure of information about a workers' compensation injury.

I incurred a workplace injury at an employer a couple of years ago. The claim was successful. As part of 'Return-To-Work', the employer was unable to place me in another role within the organisation. Subsequently, indolently and without any direct help, I was successful in getting a new permanent job outside of the employer.

On the day before I started work, I rang the HR Recruitment at the new employer asking the time, place, and whom to meet. They re-confirmed my background check has came back as 'everything is fine'. Then, they asked if there are anything else they need to know, for example something that might have happened to me in [they specified month and year].

The time period happens to be the time of my injury at the old employer! I stonewalled with, "what do you mean?" Eventually they said don't worry about it and to start. I wasn't really at 100% work capacity, re-traumatised by the above. I also didn't get the prescribed workcover psych support expected of when one does a RTW. My employment was terminated after a couple of months within the probation period.

To date, we have not been able to identify who disclosed the information to the new employer. We have been using the wrong approaches and methods.

I've been told that a lawyer who is experienced in personal matter privacy breach and reputation damage, is what is needed. Not a general lawyer.

My area of work covers a niche job role in large corporations. Reputation damage here concerns: tarnishing of reputation, no job references from my last two employments, psych damage, and loss of future income.

I would be grateful I can be given a recommendation to a lawyer who fits the above descriptions.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Until you can identify who gave out the information I don't like your chances.

10 July 2018
That's why I'm looking for a lawyer who is able to shake out the information from the new employer who obviously would know or have records of who did.