VIC Illegal Bag and Frisk Search. What action can i take?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DPod

8 March 2022
I attended a JB-Hi Fi Watergardens store Saturday 5th March and made a purchase @ 12.52pm. I was with my teenage daughter and was stopped as we exited the store. The alarm sounded, which had been triggered by a 'personal item' from Big W, moments earlier. The alarm had triggered there also and they said, it was just the item. I said this to your JB-HIfi security officer and she ignored me. She motioned to open the bags, in which she placed her hand and moved items around, removing my personal item. Not satisfied, she moved towards my daughter and patted down her pockets. I said she had nothing in her pockets and she moved towards me, and did the same thing! She then said 'bag' aggressively and pointed towards my handbag to open. I opened my bag and she started moving my purse and phone items around by herself. I said, she could not do things like that, with bags and waited for a response. There was no conversation, she looked at me, turned around and went back to her seat. I was advised by the information desk, to forward a complaint in writing. I was angry and both my daughter and I have been emotionally distressed and embarassed by this blatant illegal search and pat down by this security member. I want to know what we can do legally or get compensation for this assault and emotional distress this has caused.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I want to know what we can do legally or get compensation for this assault and emotional distress this has caused.
Nothing. Not a thing.
You do not appear to have suffered any loss of a kind that money would make good.

DPod

8 March 2022
So go to the police and ask for her to be charge with assault for illegal search and frisk would be the only thing that could be done?