VIC shop worker go thru bags

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

helen-darleen

6 December 2018
While in Kmart, I got 4 gifts for children, then proceeded to a lady on the door asking where something else was. As I then went to get that item, I was followed by the girl who was on the door, talking in her
head phone saying where I was, what I was doing. I want to turn around and say I can here you. I was laughing as I knew I didn't do wrong. so she follows around the store talking about me. As I approach checkout, decided 2 things were the same so as others do Dumped them on a shelf. She picks them up say to whoever that I dumped them. As I am going thru checkout she is in my bags (2) of groceries, then went into my hand bag, while I am paying. Can she do this please? She walked beside me to the door, loudly says you were going to shop lift and don't come into here again. I said I had no intention of stealing, I have plenty of money to buy. She said your shaking, put out my hand and said no I'm not She starts laughing loudly, and I asked Do you get off on this sort of thing, and left. Sat in car shaking, drove home slow, and then cried when I got home. Are they allowed to go thru my bags at the checkout. What is the law on this. thanks.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not without your permission.