NSW Identity requirement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok, so a different way of looking at this problem.
I'm in NSW. It is now a legal requirement for cyclist to carry id on them. Is this the nanny state? OR some sort of brutal dictatorship? I think not... Put simply, if a cyclist is involved in an accident with a car, it is very likely the cyclist may need medical help. It is also possible the cyclist next of kin is going to want to be notified OR worse, need to be notified asap. Hence the need for cyclist to have ID.

Now in these crazy covid times where lockdowns are required to minimise the spread, the police need ways to enforce the rules. So I reckon I can think of 2 reasons why old mate should get some ID.
1. Save himself the risk of a fine
2. It's free. A medicare card will probably suffice, the rules dont state that it needs to be photo ID. If not then something like a fishing licence, which is likely to be free given the circumstances bush mentioned above.

So nope the rule about having ID is not draconian. Especially, when comparing it to the current lock down rules, or the need to scan in at every venue we enter. But these are the times we're living in and these times have not been cause by some brutal dictator, they've been caused by a virus.

Why not call the Covid hotline - tell them your circumstances and if you wouldn't mind getting back to us once you do so.

Last edited:

bush

26 August 2021
As stated previously, I have a Medicare card, I will give the hotline a call and let you know.

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
As stated previously, I have a Medicare card, I will give the hotline a call and let you know.
People just jump in discussions without reading previous posts so they give vague suggestions.
A medicare card is a legal form of identification in Australia so if police stops you, you just tell your name and address so they can match with your card and you'll be fine.
I suggest you don't stress yourself too much on this issue as the problem was already resolved some posts above.

Reactions: bush

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yeah, no worries Bush only too happy to help out. I look forward to finding out what the help line number that I gave you has to say.

That specific phone number is 13 77 88.

sammy01

27 September 2015
You emailed the premier directly?
Mate - She'll probably explain it all in detail for you at 11am on the tv.... So make sure you're watching.