NSW Identity requirement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

bush

26 August 2021
Seeking information on the requirement to have any form of identification in Australia.

With the recent covid public health orders I am required to carry ID outside of my home to be produced on demand to Police for confirmation of name and address.

I have absolutely no form of ID with my address or even photo. Am I therefore confined to my residence.

Thanks in advance.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What DO you have?

bush

26 August 2021
Medicare card only, due to a breakdown my wife has all control over finances . Nothing is in my name, property, utilities and everything else. I don't drive anymore after nearly killing someone when I was a truck driver(not my fault). No bank or phone accounts.
I cannot find any requirement for me to have ID, is this correct?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I'm do know there are people living off the grid/system/Matrix - I sometimes meet them in the course of work.
But it' s really, really unusual for an ordinary private citizen to be unrecorded SOMEwhere.
Health Care Card? Centrelink customer number? Tax File Number?

Carry what you can. And wear a mask so that you are unlikely to attract attention.

bush

26 August 2021
Hi Tim,

I understand what you mean but I'm no "sovereign citizen". I have some of those things you mentioned but none have my address on it e.g. S 3.14 of the Public Health (COVID-19 Additional
Restrictions for Delta Outbreak) Order (No 2) 2021.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok are you complying with the rules? Sweet. Tell the nice police officer where you live. That is about all you gotta do.
Mate - stress less, I was standing in the middle of a footy field with my friend. The dogs were running around and we were having a chat... The cops rocked up. We panicked... The cops waved. They were looking to see if people were having a picnic, using the bbq's etc. They had no interest in two blokes walking their dogs. So my point is. Stress less. The cops are after the idiots, not average Joe, going about his business.
You have to tell the cops your name, address and DOB - They can do the rest.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
The bit that talks about being in a vehicle in a stay at home area?
Who is driving you around for other than an authorised purpose?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
...and it might be time to consider an RMS Photo Card.
Breakdown or no, if your wife obstructs that, then you have a bigger problem

bush

26 August 2021
Thanks for the input everyone,

Without sounding too far out there, why do I need such an ID.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
To show to police where you live, and
to assist them to decide whether or not
they suspect you of a breach of the PHO?