NSW Identity requirement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
What is your intention here? avoid being caught for leaving lockdown region? OR avoid a fine while still complying with lock down rules?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What is your intention here? avoid being caught for leaving lockdown region? OR avoid a fine while still complying with lock down rules?
Fair question.
Bigger picture though, I actually wonder of there isn't some form of abuse going on here.

Last edited:

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
Seeking information on the requirement to have any form of identification in Australia.

With the recent covid public health orders I am required to carry ID outside of my home to be produced on demand to Police for confirmation of name and address.

I have absolutely no form of ID with my address or even photo. Am I therefore confined to my residence.

Thanks in advance.
Just tell your name and your residential address.

bush

26 August 2021
Sammy, the latter. Just recently had to cancel accommodation booking made weeks before lockdown.
TimW, pretty long bow you are drawing there
457visa fraud, will just telling them satisfy any legislation. Got a doctors appointment to get the vaccine jab next week up near Qld border, all in a 200k round trip, guessing police will be like fleas on a dogs back in the region. Not sure what you meant in your second reply.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I still have no idea whether it is mandatory for me to have ID ????
Mandatory? No.
Useful and convenient to avoid being accused of a breach of the PHO? Yes.

Necessary for an effective day to day independent-as-possible life? Also yes.