NSW How to Make Unlicenced Builder Pay for Damages?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RachelEmma

4 December 2017
Hi everyone,

So, we had some building work done by a dodgy non licenced builder, who was invited into our home via a local business to get quotes for new windows and a sliding door.

Long story short - he went on to renovate our bathroom, causing substrate movement, which also caused one shower panel to explode and also render it unusable long term due to the fact that water seeps into the foundations of our home, which in turn could attract termites *sighs* yeah it gets better. It affects two bathrooms, the substrate is moving all the time, causing over 60% of the tiles to crumple and drop in the main bathroom, ongoing unfortunately, as I find new tiles cracking every other day, NCAT have ordered him to pay the $43k *now enforced* because he didn't pay.

And recently another $4.6K for court costs and witness reports *which will need enforcing after the 10th December*.

We have asked for the money order to be enforced with a *Writ for Property* rather than bank account garnishee, or money taken out of wages, because he owns his own business which I know he lies about how much he earns - the Enforcement was made on the 20th November *still waiting on information on what will come next after he ignores the letter for money order* and also when he refuses the Sheriff entry to his property that he owns

My question is this:

I know I can request a Caveat on his property, but how can I make him pay this huge bill? What other avenues can I go down to make this guy pay for the damage that he has caused, just because he likes pretending to be a builder?

Worst part is: all his tradie mates are not licenced to do the renovations that they did on my house and are going around doing the same shonky work to others homes as he has done to mine.....

Any input or help, or opinion is highly regarded at the point in time, as our home is seriously sinking into the ground as we speak and it is putting my family in danger from the damage that is on-going.

Please do let me know if you have any ideas guys!