NSW How to Get Information from Carsales.com.au?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Samuel Martin

2 February 2016
I saw an ad on carsales.com.au and ended up buying the car in the ad.

I thought the car had registration but it didn't, so I had to pay for registration.

I'm thinking about making a claim against the dealership that sold me the car, but carsales say their policy is that they will only let me see the ad if I get a subpoena, court order or a request from an authority body or the police. The police won't help me, so how do I get this information that I need?

Keep in mind that I work full time and can't get any time off.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Did you try looking in your internet history?

What sort of transaction was the purchase?

They may have advertised the car elsewhare such as carsguide.... you might still be able to find a copy of the add there.

Clancy

6 April 2016
It just occurred to me that this could be a regular scam for them? Because usually dealers are very slow to remove old adds.... its free customer attraction for them! So a dealer that removes an ad quickly, i might say what do they have to hide? Check with consumer affairs if other similar complaints made against this dealer?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...So a dealer that removes an ad quickly, i might say what do they have to hide?
Maybe nothing.
Maybe they are just complying with the T&C that requires them to keep their content up to date in a timely manner.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Maybe they are just complying with the T&C that requires them to keep their content up to date in a timely manner.

A website keeping their content up to date?? And here i was thinking i would live my whole life without seeing a true miracle! :)