QLD How to Get Ex to Pay Child Support?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Donnamaree

19 May 2015
Earlier this year I challenged the child support amount being paid by my ex (who is self employed) and it increased dramatically. Since the new assessment he has ceased all payments. The CSA (Child Support Agency) is trying to collect on my behalf but because he is self employed it is not easy. Do I have any other options?

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Donnamaree,

First, is the child support payment a court order? Second, is each installation a fixed amount or depend on his income (or according to some other factor)?

If it is a court order, he may be in contempt of court by breaching the order. However, if the instalment is based on some fluctuating sum (calculated) then the issue becomes how to ascertain his true financial position. If this is the case, you may be able to apply to court for an order to disclose bank statements and other accounts in order to get a better indication of his financial position.

Donnamaree

19 May 2015
It isn't a court order. It is calculated by the CSA. In the appeals process they obtained both our tax returns, bank statements, list of assets, income and expenditure statements, his financials etc to make their assessment. CSA has said if he won't pay them the debt doesn't go away and if he ever gets a tax refund the arrears will come from there.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia