SA Possible to Collect Child Support in Singapore?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nanoblox

13 August 2016
I would just like to know if there is a child support assessment with the Child Support Agency in Australia and the payer is in Singapore, can they actually collect from Singapore?

The CSA don't seem to be able to answer my questions and haven't sent the assessment to Singapore for several years. Since Singapore is a reciprocating jurisdiction, the reason why they made the assessment in the first place, I can't understand why they haven't sent to Singapore for collection.

Any ideas?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
If 1 parent lives in a reciprocating jurisdiction - such as Singapore child support payments can be set up in accordance with local laws, procedures or policies, however it is often a long and detailed process to establish.

If the receiving parent and children live in Singapore and they are eligible to receive child support payments they will need to apply to the relevant child support agency in Singapore and a request is then sent to the DHS to collect the child support payments from the other parent (assuming they live in Australia).

nanoblox

13 August 2016
Hi Victoria, thanks for your response.

On looking into it a bit more, I'm starting to think that maybe Singapore doesn't accept the administrative assessments from DHS/CS because they seem to operate on court orders domestically ("child maintenance").

But I can't think of a way to confirm if that's the case - if the administrative assessments will never be collected, then perhaps it's best to try and get court orders in Singapore instead. But then you have to wonder why the DHS would even bother make the assessment in the first place. Very frustrating.

Sundream75

2 January 2023
I am in a similar situation. I am the parent in Australia owed child support by a parent living in Singapore. Just wondering if anyone has had any success in getting child support payments and the most efficient way of getting it to happen?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Start by reading this.
I very much doubt that it will be a DIY.

Sundream75

2 January 2023
Start by reading this.
I very much doubt that it will be a DIY.
Thanks Tim- I am aware that Singapore is a reciprocating jurisdiction. CSA Collections are slow to act and are assessing if a request is made to the Singaporean Collection Agency. So my question needs to be better worded-
What success has anybody had in enforcing collection of a CSA assessed child support debt from an Australian citizen who resides in Singapore? And what was the pathway and timeframe to get a result?

Hope333

26 April 2023
Thanks Tim- I am aware that Singapore is a reciprocating jurisdiction. CSA Collections are slow to act and are assessing if a request is made to the Singaporean Collection Agency. So my question needs to be better worded-
What success has anybody had in enforcing collection of a CSA assessed child support debt from an Australian citizen who resides in Singapore? And what was the pathway and timeframe to get a result?
Hi! Just checking if you have made any progress in regards to this? I am in the same boat and would appreciate some guidance. Thank you

Expat1

19 September 2017
I can tell you how this works. If the payer is in Singapore and the payee is in Australia, the CSA/Human Services are able to make or continue an assessment in which the payer has a debt and continues to accrue a debt. If they don't have the payer's income, they will 'deem' an amount.

In terms of collection, the Singaporean system is completely through the courts and requires a court order for reciprocal enforcement. The acts do not recognise a CSA assessment as a court order and therefore this is not a means of collection.

Furthermore, the Singaporean government does not have a 'central authority' such as an agency or other function as many other countries do. The CSA knew that the payer was in Singapore and earning money, made and continued an assessment and sent monthly debt notices to the payer for 7 years and never once sent the debt for collection in Singapore. They themselves admitted that they do not have the means to do so given the current situation with Singapore.

Recourse is available via 2 main sources: 1) if the payer has income or assets within Australia - the CSA will attempt to access these resources, or 2) a DPO *will* be made against the payer whether they are in Australia or not - meaning that the payer, if they choose to go to Australia, will not be able to leave without paying the debt. The payer, of course, can stay away from Australia, but if they have connections, may find this difficult in the long run. It does not matter whether the payer is normally resident in Australia or not, the DPO can and will still be made.