LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

SA Possible to Collect Child Support in Singapore?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by nanoblox, 13 August 2016.

1. nanoblox

nanoblox Member

I would just like to know if there is a child support assessment with the Child Support Agency in Australia and the payer is in Singapore, can they actually collect from Singapore?

The CSA don't seem to be able to answer my questions and haven't sent the assessment to Singapore for several years. Since Singapore is a reciprocating jurisdiction, the reason why they made the assessment in the first place, I can't understand why they haven't sent to Singapore for collection.

Any ideas?

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

If 1 parent lives in a reciprocating jurisdiction - such as Singapore child support payments can be set up in accordance with local laws, procedures or policies, however it is often a long and detailed process to establish.

If the receiving parent and children live in Singapore and they are eligible to receive child support payments they will need to apply to the relevant child support agency in Singapore and a request is then sent to the DHS to collect the child support payments from the other parent (assuming they live in Australia).

3. nanoblox

nanoblox Member

Hi Victoria, thanks for your response.

On looking into it a bit more, I'm starting to think that maybe Singapore doesn't accept the administrative assessments from DHS/CS because they seem to operate on court orders domestically ("child maintenance").

But I can't think of a way to confirm if that's the case - if the administrative assessments will never be collected, then perhaps it's best to try and get court orders in Singapore instead. But then you have to wonder why the DHS would even bother make the assessment in the first place. Very frustrating.

4. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member