NSW How to Get a Copy of Grandmother's Will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CuriousKat

3 November 2016
My grandmother passed away 3 years ago in NSW. She had property and assets in her name. My father had power of attorney for her before she died.

He tried to get her to adjust her will while she was alive but she refused. I believe that she left assets to myself and 3 other siblings and left my father as the executor of will. I have asked my father about the will but he avoids any definitive answers as to who the estate belongs to now.

I think its possible that he is contesting the will and not informing myself and other siblings about it.

Is there a way I can find a copy of the will? She died in NSW but was previously living in her house in South Aust.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
If you are any of the following you have a right to view the will, the executor must comply with your request to view it or obtain a copy of it:
  • any person named or referred to in the will, whether as a beneficiary or not
  • any person named or referred to in an earlier will as a beneficiary
  • the surviving spouse, de facto partner (same or opposite sex) or children of the deceased person
  • a parent or guardian of the deceased person
  • any person who would be entitled to a share of the estate of the deceased person if the deceased person had died intestate
  • any person (including a creditor) who may have a claim against the estate of the deceased person.
If that fails, and if probate has been obtained, it may be public court records either in NSW or in SA depending on where probate was obtained. You can also likely find out whether your father is contesting the will by conducting a party name search in the NSW or SA Supreme Court registries.