QLD How to Find Out if I Have an Arrest Warrant?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ivadt21

12 July 2016
Hi. I came to Australia in 1985 as a tourist, met my wife, got married and stayed in Australia. I got my Australian Citizenship, opened a business, remarried and got 3 kids, when I got in trouble with the law.

I lived in Serbia since mid-2001. I am planning to return to Australia with 4 kids - 20 year old,18 years old, 16 years old and 14 years old. How can I find out if I am going to be arrested on my arrival to Australia?

In 2001, I was accused of raping a 14-year-old girl. In the interview with the police, I admitted that there was some genital touching but no penetration. Her story was different. She had a case where she took a man to court for r**e before me and got money from the government and I heard that she did it again once I left the country and got busted for false accusations. Even her girlfriend told my friend that she planned to set me up.

I had to hand in my Australian passport and got arrested. After the first hearing, I was granted bail under the condition to leave my Australian passport in Court, respect restraining order and appear on next hearing. I used my Serbian passport to leave Australia and never appeared on next hearing.

After living and struggling in Serbia for 15 years as an unemployed single father to 4 boys, I am willing to return to Australia for good. I was in Australian Embassy a few days ago, and they told me that they do not know if there is any arrest warrant in Australia against me. Few of my friends tried to find out on my behalf and never got in touch with me again. I even asked one lawyer and one Barrister to get any information for me, never heard from them.

So, how can I find out if I am going to be arrested on my arrival to Australia?`

If you need more details, I would be happy to provide them.

Regards

Ponala

10 February 2015
Fly in and find out!! But seriously I would engage a solicitor in Australia to make those inquiries on your behalf.