QLD Finding Out the Reason for an Arrest Warrant?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gary

2 November 2014
I had been issued with paperwork for a notice to attend Brisbane magistrates court for being in possession of a controlled drug without a prescription. I had a clearly typed in bold date for Wed 25th July 2018.

When I got to court I was not on the list and after speaking to the registrar, I was told I should have appeared on Monday 23rd July 2018 and an arrest warrant was issued. When my lawyer arrived, he showed the registrar the paperwork we received and we were permitted to go before the Judge for a new date.

The Magistrate listened and acknowledged the discrepancy but then added that the warrant was not for non appearance on the 23rd July but had in fact been issued on the 14th July 2018 but she didn't state why.

I asked my lawyer to look into it but haven't heard back. I asked the registrar but he said I have to speak to Qld Police. So I rang to speak to the officer who brought the charges but she was unavailable, however the constable on the phone did look it up but said he cant see it anymore and that I would need to speak to the registrar.

The registrar just referred me back to Qld Police. How can I find out what I had a warrant issued for and what can I do about it if it is on my record? Who should I raise my concerns with re my paperwork for a notice to appear that is clearly dated 25th and the paperwork lodged with the court that had a date of the 23rd?

More than anything I don't want my record to reflect these non-incidences and I think that the incompetence should be dealt with. These two mistakes could have ended up with me being incarcerated. It's not right and I think that someone should be held accountable.

Gary

2 November 2014
thanks Bill.....again. Are you scoping me ...hahahahahahahaha

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Haha. Nope.

If the warrant was recalled the Police can't tell you anything about it. The courts have to.

But the courts are useless hence my idea to move on, lol.